Thursday, October 16, 2008

It Ain't Over Yet

I've been thinking about this all wrong. In my last post I mentioned trust. I've been thinking about it in terms of whether we'll be able to maintain our children's trust during this experience. Or put another way, whether they'll trust us when this experience is over.

It's the "over" part that's all wrong. This particular experience will end one day, sure. But there will be another experience, another challenge, another uncertain time. This crazy time we're having will blend into the next crazy time we'll have. I'm finding that it's important to remember to be a good parent now. It's easy to let the current madness have me postponing good choices (e.g. I'll make up for this poor choice later). But it doesn't work that way.

I think that's what's so hard about this situation. We don't get another chance. Every day is make or break. It's easy to ignore that fact when we're bumbling along day to day, but during these days where huge changes happen minute-to-minute, the absolute importance of loving kindness is right there in your face.

No comments: